Bikes and Arabian Oryx



One of the great things about an early morning ride on the Al Qudra bike path is the sense of solitude (unless you are cycling with a group).  Sure you see other cyclists passing in the opposite direction but, for most of the time you are alone with your thoughts.











It was a week day morning and there were not many people out on their bikes and when you are alone it comes as a little shock when you see thing out of the ordinary.  This was for the case for me when I started to build up speed on one of the two decent downhill sections for the 49 km ride when two Arabian Oryx wandered across the track in front of me.











I stopped and grabbed my mobile to take a few snaps before I noticed that further down the track was a somewhat dispersed herd of about 20 Oryx grazing on the sparse shoots of green grass. I was able to get a few photos before getting back on the bike.  Not wanting to be late for Kate and the girls who needed the car. It is rare to see wildlife on the outskirts of Dubai (apart from camels) so I consider myself very fortunate.





Popular posts from this blog

An Ascent of Sunanda Devi (Nanda Devi East)

Three Days in Lisbon are Not Enough!

Risk Reward and Skiing in Kashmir