Eating and Skiing in Courmeyuer

I like Chamonix.  Despite the ageing lift infrastructure, I like the mountains and I like the town but one thing I don’t like is the food.  Given the proximity to Lyon and the wonderful Savoie cuisine, there seems to be far too many places serving British pub food and ordinary ethnic restaurants (Indian, Thai etc).




Chris at the excellent Christiana
on the slopes at Courmayeur






Work had taken me to Paris for two weeks so I took the train to Cham planning to catch up with a friend of a friend.  Chris Warner knows Damien, my school friend and climbing partner from Chomotang. Chris is a rope gun who was now living in Cham so we connect and organised to catch up for a ski.


















Goat stew and polenta.
They even added in a couple of sausages







I dropped my stuff at Gite Vagabond in the rain, not a good sign given it was mid-night. The next morning when I met Chris the weather was no better in Cham but there were reports that it was snowing in Courmayeur. Despite several trips to Cham, I had never been through the Mt Blanc Tunnel to Courmayeur, so we set off.

















The skiing was good in Italy, fresh snow and skiing through the trees as the upper areas were closed due to avalanche control and weather. But the best part was the food. Spectacular pasta, risotto and my favourite goat stew and creamy polenta and that was just the lunch.



Fast hands filling their plates in Roma


After ski the Roma, a stylish bar in the pedestrianised centre of Courmayeur, put on a wonderful table full of tapas and all you need to do was buy a beer.  I enjoyed the food so much I even had a second beer before the drive back through the tunnel!



Popular posts from this blog

An Ascent of Sunanda Devi (Nanda Devi East)

Three Days in Lisbon are Not Enough!

Risk Reward and Skiing in Kashmir