Flooding in Dubai, Running in Hatta

Have I caught the bug? A few weeks after Wadi Bih 50km run, I noticed that there was a half-marathon in the hills around Hatta, a town in a UAE enclave to the east of Dubai which is surrounded by Oman on three sides. I suddenly keen but would doing this mean that I would be drifting into the darks side of concentrating on running to the exclusion of all else? Did it mean more early morning starts with thousands of others only to pound my way along some mind numbing road/

The run was on the roads through the town with some stiff climbing past two dam walls (25% max garde and about 360m of climbing overall) and some running on trails in the hills behind the town.  I hadn't been to Hatta since we did a visa run for Kate and the girls just after we arrived and it was an area that I was keen to revisit.

Paddy, my neighbour and running partner from Wadi Bih, was out of town but Ana was keen to do the half-marathon.  Ana is from Kazakhstan and gave me some great advice before our ski trip.  She goes to our gym and Paddy and I had run the Dubai Creek half-marathon route with her in the past.


The start finish line at the Hatta Fort Hotel



The week before the run saw record rain in Dubai that resulted in some areas of the City suffering serious flooding.  An suburb in Jabel  in Jabel Ali hd several feet of water through it with people possessions and cars ruined. It is amazing to see in the desert. Of course this is commonplace in Mumbai during the Monsoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBnxrRIOns


I was a little uncertain if the run would continue given the rain but the organisers confirmed the night before with one little change, the trail section would be taken out and the course adjusted.

It was a slow and foggy drive out to Hatta due to the moisture from the rain and we almost hit a few donkeys that were loitering on the road. Fortunately we left the fog behind as we climbed into the hills and were able to arrive at Hatta at 6.15 am.  The day was fine and clear at the Hatta Fort Hotel, the start point for the race and there was a light cool breeze. Perfect running conditions.

The final corner before the finish line.


We started at 7 am and Ana set off at a cracking pace, much faster than I would have done by myself. The first climb to the dam wall reduced almost everyone to a walk on the steepest section and you were sucking hard for breath as you ran along the wall before turning round and blasting back down the steep slope.  The second dam wall was easier but the change in route resulted in an addition leg where we turned back towards the first wall. Unfortunately, a couple of guys in front of me missed the turn costing them a couple of hundred metres.

When we turned for home after about 14.5 km, I felt good. So I kicked on, reeling in and passing five people in front of me.  I continued to run hard up to the 20 km mark before slowing to wait for Ana.  As I said, I wouldn't have gone out as hard if it wasn't for her so it was fair to finish together. The people I had passed were slightly bemused as they passed me before the finish line

I came in at 1:34.47 which was good given I waited a little and the course was hilly.  Ana came third in the ladies open category so she was happy (although she said to me it wasn't first).  More important for me, it was a pleasant run in great surroundings and a great way to start the weekend. But I dont see myself chasing many more organised runs


The run through the town to the two dams in the hills on the horizon

Popular posts from this blog

An Ascent of Sunanda Devi (Nanda Devi East)

Three Days in Lisbon are Not Enough!

Risk Reward and Skiing in Kashmir