Two dollars a day

Todays post is about things you can do in India, specifically Mumbai, for under two aussie dollars (about 200 rupee)...sounds easy enough but as I started to write this I thought more deeply about the social aspect of this post....my first list was:

  • Ride a rickshaw for an hour at least
  • Drink three or four fresh coconut waters and eat the meat, all road side
  • Watch a Movie in a fairly nice theatre complete with national anthem, and an interval!
  • Bribe a cop or two!
  • Run a red light...or two and again bribe a cop...
  • Take Puja (an offering) to a Ganesh in someones home....basically worship a colourful elephant with six arms...upon invite only!


And then I got to thinking about what I do with my two dollars a day...and truthfully some of the above and even more truthfully I...

  • buy a big bunch of bananas and take them to a new group of street children laying on the roadside near my house, of course to feed them, and to see them smile
  • give my maid the equivalent of two dollars because she had to go to the Doctors and that is precisely how much the visit cost.
  • buy a big bag of veges from my Vege street vendor then on to my Fruit vendor and get several nice pieces of fruit (and take them home and wash them feverously in Potassium Permangenate cause they start the day on the road...truly!)
  • have a coffee, a fresh coconut water and get a rickshaw to my Yoga class...all for two dollars....


hmmm, after this post I am going to be even more mindful about two dollars a day... I feel ever more blessed writing this.






Popular posts from this blog

An Ascent of Sunanda Devi (Nanda Devi East)

Three Days in Lisbon are Not Enough!

Risk Reward and Skiing in Kashmir