Roads India vs Germany

OK OK clearly no contest but the diffences are still so geat for me that i just have to blog about it and get it off my chest...after all that is what a blog is all about ...true... an outlet...like a friendly ear.

So yesterday I found out from my driver that in India to get a license (a learners permit) you just go down to tthe RTI (roads authority) show your face and your papers so they can check "you look about 18" then you get your learners. You drive for about a month wih someone else in the car, who may have a licence, and then you have a test. For the test you simply drive an RTI person around for about ten minutes and bingo.... Drivers Licence. No laws to learn... Maybe one or two if you are unlucky!

My experience in Germamy could not have been more different....firstly I had to complete a first aid course, in German, then take an eye test, then have some driving lessons, as well as sit for a complete written learners permit exam. That experience will remain with me for a very long time. Aside from the fact that I failed, after having spent many many hours studying! And I have already bewen driving for some thirty years around the world on both the left hand side and the right hand side of the road....Taking a test translated from a second language means many things appear diferently to...ok enough of the excuses...I failed! So I had to drive illegally for six months.


Now here in India I cannot drive! As an expat I am not allowed to drive (at least that is the policy we have to operate under).

Who would want to drive at top speeds of 60km per hour after Germany? Who would want to contend with auto rickshaws, bullock carts and stray dogs? Not me. I am happy enough sitting in the back seat blogging.

Popular posts from this blog

An Ascent of Sunanda Devi (Nanda Devi East)

Three Days in Lisbon are Not Enough!

Risk Reward and Skiing in Kashmir